Shrimp or prawns as we call them here in the UK, are one of my favourite types of seafood (next to calamari of course). So versatile and delicious whether raw with a spoon of Mayo, lemon juice in a good old sandwich or coated in tomato salsa and served with pasta.
That’s how I usually remember eating them, all tomatoed up, sometimes losing the fresh sea flavour of the prawns. So when I had a batch of these thawed bad boys I refused to violate them by drenching them in tomato sauce and some herbs.
I looked up other ways online and there wasn’t much without the use of alcohol, which if you don’t know by now, I can’t consume due to religious reasons. Many of the recipes even required pot fulls of cream which i’m not keen on as I attempt to watch my waist line. So I did a little switching up between recipes and came up with this easy alcohol free, no cream, prawn linguine/spaghetti dish that has been a hit with my friends & family!
What you’ll need
▪200g shrimp (without shell & deveined)
▪3 garlic cloves (chopped)
▪chilli powder, salt & pepper to taste
▪75g of butter
▪200ml chicken stock
▪75g parmesan cheese
▪ Juice & zest of 1 lemon
▪30g parsley (chopped)
– cook pasta using instructions on packet, drain & coat in Olive oil to avoid sticking
– heat oil in a wok on med-high heat add prawns, garlic, chilli powder (if using) & butter and cook till fragrant.
– deglaze pan using the stock, stir & season to taste.
– add in the cheese, lemon juice & zest and cook for 2-3 minutes.
– add parsley stir then add your cooked pasta and combine together using tongs to ensure full contact with sauce. Heat together for 2 minutes to help absorb
It’s ready to serve with extra sprinkling of parmesan on top, oh and keep a napkin nearby its quite saucy!