Another childhood favourite, my mum rarely made us desserts but when she did she’d make us something super scrumpy. She is quite inventive my mum, and a rummage through the cupboards could easily lead to the creation of a dinner, lunch or dessert.
This is basically a poor mans donut. DOnut flavoured, donut textured but it’s just white toast! Very similar to the makings of French toast but with added sweetness!
What you’ll need
- ▪️ 2 eggs
- ▪️ 4 tsp vanilla extract
- ▪️ 60 ml milk
- ▪️ 4 slices white bread (cut in half)
- ▪️ 25g butter
- ▪️ 50g caster sugar (icing sugar or granulated will not work)
- – in a large bowl beat eggs with milk & vanilla extract.
- – Soak each bread slice in the eggy mix thoroughly.
- – Heat the butter along with some oil in a frying pan. Fry off the coated bread slices until they are golden and crisper. (slight charring adds to the flavour so don’t worry).
- -in a wide plate spread out the caster sugar. Coat the bread slices in the sugar, coating them generously.
- They look like pyramid shaped donuts now & they taste like it too!